Clinics & services
Healthy Hearts – North Tyneside Tier 3 Specialist Weight Management Service
A specialist service which includes nutrition, physical activity and psychological support to improve the health and well-being of obese adults in North Tyneside. Delivered by a multi-disciplinary team of specialist dietitians, clinical psychologists and exercise specialists.
Referral mechanism to bariatric service on the successful completion of the Tier 3 programme of support (minimum of 6 months and usually 12 months).
- 18 years of age or over, registered with a North Tyneside GP
- Body Mass Index of 35 or greater (32.5 for South Asian populations), willing to actively engage and ready to make lifestyle changes to lose weight.
- Or a Body Mass Index of 30 or greater (27.5 for South Asian populations) for people with diabetes as measured by HbA1c 42-48 or FBG >6.1.
- No previous bariatric procedure in situ
- Current active severe mental health problems
- Referral to service in previous 6 months
- Pregnant women
North Tyneside General Hospital and various community locations in North Shields, Wallsend, Howdon, Killingworth and Whitley Bay
Weekly – daytime and evening options available
Office hours 9am – 5pm telephone 0191 293 4251 or 4184
Assessment of obesity related co-morbidity to be undertaken prior to referral.
Details of recently measured blood pressure, HbA1c or FBG and weight are required as well as psychological/psychiatric history.
A referral form to be completed (see useful forms) and returned to Healthy Hearts by courier or fax (0191 293 4203). Tick Tier 3 Specialist Weight Management Services only box.
Referral mechanism to bariatric service.