Clinics & services
Healthy Hearts – Exercise Referral (North Tyneside)
This service is available for anyone 18 years of age or over, registered with a North Tyneside GP, who is currently inactive with a medical condition that would benefit from becoming more active. For example, a history of cardiovascular disease (CVD) or at risk of developing CVD, for example, high blood pressure, raised cholesterol, Type 2 diabetes, or overweight.
The service is offered on completion of the North Tyneside cardiac rehabilitation and pulmonary rehabilitation programmes.
- A history of cardiovascular disease (CVD) e.g. M.I., angina, stroke, T.I.A.
-inactive ≤ 30 mins moderate physical activity per week
- At risk of developing CVD e.g. a 10 year cardiovascular risk ≥ 10% using QRISK2
- Current mild mental health problems
- Registered with a North Tyneside GP, 18 years of age or over, willing to actively engage and ready to make lifestyle changes
- Not currently attending an exercise referral or supervised exercise session
- No contraindications to exercise e.g. unstable angina, uncontrolled arrhythmia, resting systolic BP ≥ 200 mmHg or diastolic ≥ 110 mmHg, unstable hypertension
- Referral to service in previous 6 months
North Tyneside General Hospital and various community locations in North Shields, Wallsend, Howdon, Killingworth and Whitley Bay including leisure centres, community centres, and health walks.
Weekly – daytime and evening options available
Office hours 9am – 5pm telephone 0191 293 2736
Assessment of patient and any contraindications to exercise to be undertaken prior to referral.
Consider any current investigations.
Details of recently measured blood pressure, weight and HbA1c or FBG if appropriate are required.
Healthy Hearts referral form (see useful forms) to be completed and returned to Healthy Hearts by courier or fax (0191 293 4203). Tick exercise referral only box.